The majority of castings cannot be categorized into an easy bucket. These range from consumer products and medical products to agriculture and others. Manufacturers in these industries have a wide variety of requirements for their QA processes, some of which fall into the following major categories:
- Throughput – the X-ray system cannot act as a bottleneck in the production cycle.
- Latitude – castings can have varying densities within the same part. Thus, the X-ray system must have the dynamic range and capability to optimally inspect all areas of the part
- Reliability – X-ray machine must maintain maximum up-time to continuously run production. Delivery schedules are very important to begin with and delays are not acceptable.
- Floor space – The X-ray system must take up as little space as possible because space on the production floor is valuable
- Traceability – each cast product must be traced throughout the production cycle and have the records kept for several years after production. The X-ray system must have robust and customizable archival capabilities.
VJT offers customized solutions for castings manufactures as well as a suite of configurable products and inspection services. The most common systems used by manufactures are broken down in the following matrix: